Job Title Senior Care Worker (Assisted Home Living)
Standard Occupational Code 6146
Job Hours Flexible, depending on the needs of the business 40 hours per week
Salary £20 460 per annum
Reports to Line Manager and Management Team
Contractual notes Permanent
Job Summary/ Purpose
- To look after the physical, emotional, cultural and social needs of the Clients using a person-centered approach.
- To observe and promote the Client’s choice, independence, dignity, privacy, fulfilment and other rights.
- To create and maintain good professional relationships with Clients, their family and friends and other stakeholders.
- To actively support other Care Workers.
- To adhere to all regulatory and statutory obligations and CMS policies, procedures and guidelines.
- To actively market CMS and promote a positive, personal and professional profile, ensuring the good reputation of CMS at all times.
1. Care provision
- To provide personal care and support to Clients with a wide range of needs, illnesses and disabilities.
- To know and understand the care and support of the Client.
- To undertake the tasks detailed in the Client’s care and support plan using a person centered approach and in the least intrusive way.
- To encourage the independence and motivation of the Client and not foster dependent behaviour.
- To provide input into the care and support plans of Clients by regularly feeding back to the Field Care Supervisor.
- To assist Clients getting up in the morning and going to bed at night.
- To assist Clients to wash, bath and shower.
- To assist Clients to dress and undress.
- To assist Clients to look after their skin, teeth, hair and nails.
- To assist Clients with toileting, continence management and personal hygiene.
- To assist Clients with their medication at the agreed level of support and as detailed in their Medication Care Needs Assessment.
- To prepare food and drink for the Client, being aware of the Client’s choice, likes/dislikes, nutritional needs and cultural requirements.
- To provide light general household domestic duties, including housework and laundry, as detailed in the care plan or instructed by Management.
- To use manual handling equipment safely and correctly.
- To take responsibility for the safe handling of property and equipment belonging to the Client.
- To maintain good communication and develop effective working relationships with Clients.
- To provide companionship to the Client, actively talking and listening to them about their interests.
- To help the Client to maintain contact with their family and friends.
- To accompany the Client on trips into the community.
- To assist the Client to manage their personal affairs.
- To ensure as safe as possible the living environment for the Client, whilst respecting the Client’s choice and rights.
1. Recording and reporting
- To maintain detailed accurate records in respect of care and medication support given and tasks undertaken.
- To regularly read care and support plans, acknowledging changes.
- To protect the confidentiality of all information relating to the Client and not divulge information to anyone who is not authorised to receive it.
- To promptly report to the office or Out of Hours Care Coordinator any issues concerning the care, support, wellbeing or behaviour of the Client and update records accordingly.
- To continue to monitor where concerns have been reported and recorded.
- To recognise the signs of abuse and immediately report abuse or suspected abuse to a Manager.
- To report any complaints to the office or Out of Hours Care Coordinator.
- To contact the office or Out of Hours Care Coordinator if running late.
- To dress appropriately, wearing uniform and using personal protective equipment provided by CMS.
- To seek out best practice and look at innovative ways to improve the quality and efficiency of service delivery.
- To attend and participate in regular Care Worker team meetings and any other relevant meetings.
- To attend in house and external training pertinent to the role of Care Worker.
- To ensure completed weekly timesheets are submitted on time.
- To observe all health & safety rules and take reasonable care to promote health and safety of self and others and raise any concerns to the Field Care Supervisor.
- To aim to ensure everyone has equal treatment and equal access to services and employment.
- Any other duties requested by Senior Management, which are within the scope of the post.
Special Conditions attached to post
- Flexible working, as evening and week end work is required
- Own transport
Person specification Essential Desirable
Qualifications NVQ Level 3 in Health and Social Care • Diploma in Health and Social Care
Experience & Knowledge • Experience of providing high standards of care provision
- Experience of meeting the needs and support of Clients
- Experience of fostering professional relationships with customers
- Sound understanding of good care principles
- Understanding of regulations and legislation within the domiciliary care profession
- Understanding of safeguarding adults at risk
Skills, Abilities and Attributes • Strives to reach the highest standards in customer service
- Communicates effectively, both verbally and non-verbally
- Compassionate, patient and empathetic
- Flexible and approachable with a positive attitude, even under pressure
- Deals with emergencies and difficult situations
- Records with accuracy and detail
- Works on own initiative
- Team player
- Commitment to own professional and personal development
Role specification • The right to live and work in the UK
- At least 3 months previous paid experience working in a care environment
- Referee contact details for your current place of work, including a manager who can comment on your ability, and for all employments in the past 3 years
- A certificate confirming your participation in a practical Moving and Handling course in the last 12 months (or a willingness to pay for a practical Moving and Handling course)
- You will need access to a smartphone, iPhone (7 or later), iPad or iPod touch compatible with IOS 13.1 (or later) or Android device with a 10 operating system (or later), with internet access to manage your rota via our homecare app
Other Ability to travel