A well-designed resume does half the job! Yes, you heard it right. Your resume is the first thing to get represent you in the recruitment process. You must have wondered why your resume is repeatedly not passing the first stage, the answer is simply because it’s not a powerful resume. Sometimes, weundermine the power of a good resume and don’t pay a great deal of attention while making one. This can result in immediate rejection and lot of disappointment. To help you build a power-pack resume, RSR Global present to you some key pointers to build an impactful resume.
How to get your resume shortlisted?
A shortlisted resume means that you have cleared the very first and crucial step of hiring process and that you have been considered on the list of desirable candidates. This very step plays the most significant role and therefore can be quite difficult. Therefore, our guide to a successful resume is vital to achieve your dream role.
- Start with an appropriate summary:
A summary is found at the top of a resume. Here you can tell the employer what differences you can bring to an organization by giving glimpses of your skills, experiences and educational background.
Wrap up your summary in a few sentences (two to three) and include job oriented skills and credentials. If you are a fresher, you can add an objective to depict your passion and determination for the job.
- LENGTH OF YOUR RESUME: Now, this is one of the most important points. While creating a resume, keep in mind that employers prefer short and conciseresumes. So, the question is, ‘What should be the ideal length of a resume? The answer is simple, one or two sides of A4 paper. If you have many accomplishments in your bag, you can utilize two-page resume to cover all necessary details. Remember to choose the format wisely as it is going to impact the length of the resume. In a nutshell, keep it short and keep it simple!
- Template: Always try to use a professional template. The template you choose determines how easy it is going to be for the recruiters to go through your key details, such as skills, educational background etc. If you have a great level of experience, it is advised to highlight the same with a chronological resume. While others can highlight the required skills with functional resumes.
- Mention all relevant skills:
This is absolutely an important part of writing a resume. Your skills will make you more visible and help grab the attention of recruiters. You must go through the details of the job description and lay emphasis on the requirements of the company. This will help you fill in the relevant skills in your resume. Also, mention the experiences that relate you to the skill. For example, if the job requires you to possess great communication skills, highlight the relevant experience where you displayed these skills, be it in the field of hospitality, nursing, healthcare, IT sector etc. Skills to include in your CV that are desirable and are often looked for by employers:
- Great communication skills
- Basic computer knowledge
- Problem-solving skills
- Analytical skills
- Include important keywords from the job description: Your CV is most likely to be shortlisted if it matches the job profile. How can you make that happen? It’s very easy! Go through the job posting, pick up the keywords that are relevant to the requirements of the job and add it to your resume. Adding keywords related to the skills required for the job will add certainty to clearing the shortlisting process.
- Make a special segment to highlight accomplishments.
Add your accomplishments in a catchy manner. You can describe so using number bullets. Mentioning your past work experience and the job responsibilities in your CV makes it easy for the recruiters to spot you. For an entry-level candidate, it is important to mention the details of internships, workshops attended, any relevant achievement while pursuing the course or freelance projects.
Quick tips on what to avoid:
- Avoid repetition of information.
- Don’t add complex designs.
- Don’t make it too long. Keep it short and professional.
- Avoid grammatical errors and spelling mistakes.
- Avoid over-explanations. Use cover letter for this purpose.
How can a RSR Global help build a strong resume?
The right recruitment agency is a true boon in the journey of recruitment process. RSR GLOBAL, one of the leading recruitment agencies in UK, helps candidates to not only land their dream jobs but smoothens the entire journey. We provide assistance with building a strong resume,through our experienced consultantswho understand the needs of an employer.With hard-work anda touch of professionalism, your resume is sure to be shortlisted.